Chasing Cheerios

Monday, September 26, 2011

Painting with Balloons

Since last week and this week are "B" weeks, we are doing lots of activities that start with the letter "B." Last week, the girls had lots of fun painting with balloons!

I blew up several balloons (and saw stars...they were NOT easy to blow up) for each girl, and put paint in several flat containers. (I usually cut the tops off of take-out containers to use as paint trays, and they worked perfectly for this activity).

O(5) really enjoyed seeing the prints that she could make with her balloon. While E(5) preferred to paint with a mostly deflated balloon.




E discovered the joy of having blue hands!

Luckily, the paint was washable!


Here's one of their creations.


Our next "B" art activity was "painting" with bubbles...I put watercolor paint in 3 small bottles of bubbles. Then I blew bubbles while the girls ran around with pieces of white cardstock to catch the bubbles. The theory was that when the bubbles popped, they would make a pretty and colorful print...wrong. The girls had fun catching the bubbles for about a minute, and the bubbles didn't leave behind any prints...just a couple of barely visible drops. Oh, well. They loved the idea of it, and it was a valuable lesson that things don't always turn out how we plan and that's ok.

6 comments:

  1. If you would like to have a second try at painting with bubbles, I tried a different method in my classroom and the kiddos loved it. I put water, a few drops of dish soap, and several drops of food coloring in a pie pan, then mixed them lightly with a whisk. I put the end of a straw in the water and blew to create a "mountain of bubbles." The child would lightly lay their paper on the top (being careful not to go far enough down to touch the liquid) and "pop" the bubbles onto their paper. Blue bubbles always turned out the prettiest. Hope this helps! I LOVE your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's actually the next thing on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this in my classroom with sand-filled balloons (blow them up so they're stretched out,deflate, then use a funnel to fill with sand). The kids found them very fun to play with (they're kind of like stress balls) and they worked great when we used them to do Very Hungry Caterpiller paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my classroom i put paint, water and dish soap in a bowl. Then i dip the rim of a glass into the solution, and then onto paper. When you lift the glass it makes a bubble on the paper and when it pops it leaves the outline of the bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get your daughters smocks? I would love to get one for my son. I love your blog BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh... are you seriously this creative? I love this!! We did apple stamping last week... Balloon stamping sounds like it's next in our agenda!

    ReplyDelete